Even though smart phones are, well, smart and have made our lives much easier in ways we did not realize we could be helped with, there are still some things that might be small things but can get annoying if had to be done repeatedly, like turning on and off your device repeatedly. If you are tired off your device only for a second, if your lock key is hard to reach, if your power button is broken then an app called the Gravity Screen can solve these issues by liberating you from the usage of the power button. It turns automatically your screen off when you put your phone into your pocket or onto a table and turn the screen on when you take it out or up. No need to touch any button and you are ready to go.
It monitors the orientation of the device through the gravity sensor. When your phone is pointing downward by its top, below a certain angle, it’s likely to be out of use. In this situation the proximity sensor is activated to determine if it is covered. If yes, it turns the screen off because probably you placed the phone into your pocket or onto a table. To keep the battery usage low the program turns on the proximity sensor only when it’s really necessary. Moreover, when it turns your screen off and the proximity sensor is covered it puts your phone into deep sleep state to save as much energy as possible.
It has a free version with the following features:
– Pocket Sensor: Recognizes if your phone is in your pocket.
– Table Sensor: Detects your phone is lying on a table.
– Turn Screen Off by Proximity: activates the proximity sensor before turning the screen off.
– Turn Screen On by Motion: If the screen is off and it’s facing up the device can be woken up by any movements, for example by lifting up by hand. Usage of the power button can interferes with this option.
– Keep Screen On by Motion: It keeps the screen on by relying on the small movements you are doing by your hand while holding the phone. If motions are detected while the screen is facing up, it keeps the screen on because it can be suspected that the phone is held and probably you are reading something. If the phone is steady it will turn the screen off normally no matter the position you leave your device. It’s especially helpful if your lock key is hard to reach or if the power button is broken.
– Tasker, Llama, Locale supported by plug-in.
If they provide all this for free, I’m sure you are not being able to imagine what they must be giving in the in-app purchase (PRO) version. Well, here you go:
– Wider range in Table Sensor
– Turn Screen On by Motion Timeout can be set above 15 minutes
– Exclude Apps option: The app pauses itself anytime if selected app is running, it’ll resume when you close the app. Useful when playing games etc.
– Widgets, PowerToggles plug-in
This is definitely one of those apps that gives much more than what we expect, in a good way. So download Gravity Screen now and enjoy not having much to do with that power button!